Your joints work hard. Every movement you make is thanks to joints. Even your spine is a series of joints that are constantly in motion. Because of this, it is no surprise that wear and tear accumulates over the years. Therefore, it is critical to take care of your joints. While regular exercise and proper posture are important, you can also keep your joints and spine healthy with the right diet.
Understanding How Diet Impacts Joints
The food we eat has a huge impact on the way our bodies feel and function. The nutrients in food help us stay healthy. When you are thinking about joint health, you should think about foods that fight inflammation. Inflammation is one of the most common causes of pain in the joints. This happens with injury and overuse. An inflamed area is more likely to be stiff and painful. Therefore, in order to minimize such problems, it is helpful to choose foods that ward off inflammation.
Identifying the Best Superfood Choices
Fortunately, there are plenty of foods that provide the necessary nutrients for overall wellness. Some of these foods are considered especially powerful thanks to their impact on the body. That is why these foods are often considered super. A superfood can be used to support your health and general wellness, but these foods can also have a dramatic impact on your joints. To effectively build a diet for your joints, consider the following foods.
- Cruciferous vegetables: This includes broccoli, cauliflower and kale. These vegetables are best known for providing antioxidants and fiber in addition to vitamins. While all vegetables offer nutritional benefit, these vegetables offer a powerful concentration of these benefits. In essence, they are providing a real bang for your buck. Incorporating these vegetables into your diet can ease pain in your spine and keep inflammation from impacting your movement.
- Berries: Like cruciferous vegetables, berries provide a huge punch of nutrition in a relatively small package. Berries are also known for providing antioxidants, which help keep inflammation in check throughout the body. This impact can be found in strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and more.
- Spices: Most people use spices to add flavor to their dishes, but the right spices can also fight off inflammation for superior health. In particular, consider using turmeric and ginger. These spices have been linked to lower levels of inflammation throughout the body. These spices are easily added to many dishes that you may already eat and enjoy.
- Fish: Eating fish is a great way to incorporate meat, which is high in protein, without consuming too many bad fats. Fish, unlike beef or pork, has a lot of omega 3 fatty acids. These acids are considered to be healthy fats, and they have impressive benefits for the body. Your joints can benefit in particular. Some of the best fish to consider are wild salmon and sardines. Fish oil can be a great alternative for people who do not eat a lot of fish.
- Green tea: Green tea naturally possesses polyphenolic compounds. These compounds have been shown to effectively ward off the effects of inflammation. In fact, several studies have actually shown that regular green tea consumption can help manage pain from conditions like arthritis. Because green tea is so popular already, there is ample research to back it up as a superfood.
Balancing Your Diet for Joint Wellness
Diet is not a quick fix. However, it can be part of a comprehensive lifestyle to promote healthy joints. In addition to reducing inflammation, many of these superfoods provide other benefits as well. If you have intractable joint or back pain, call Spine Institute Northwest to discuss our advanced treatments options at 888-712-0318 or contact us here.